Friday, December 09, 2005

Fat Finger Syndrome

When you press 'sell' instead of 'buy' or vice versa.

Yesterday, an unnamed trader at Japanese investment house Mizuho Securities, mistakenly placed an order to sell 610,000 J-Com shares at 1 yen each. Read more here.

The financial services watchdog in Tokyo is investigating the damage caused by a typing error that led Mizuho Securities - one of Japan's biggest brokerage firms - to lose at least 27bn yen (£128m). And here.

Over the summer I read in Malaysian news that some CIMB trader made the same mistake and I was like "D'oh, how can anyone be so blur?" I didn't know that accidentally doing something stupid like this would be a worldwide syndrome. Think about the silliest and most mindless thing that someone could ever do and at the expense of belittling my fellow mamak-loving friends, you have to admit that there's something inside you which will scream Malaysia Boleh!

I did a secret mental somersault and two handstands when I read this bit of news today. I guess we're not as stupid as we think we are.

2 comments:

chuck said...

To err is human...

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Block pop up ad safer http://www.small-business-web-site-design.info

291206

291206