Saturday, July 08, 2006

Work Experience

It's been a really good week for me as I've been enjoying my work experience stint with Guardian Unlimited. A friend of mine got married on Wednesday as well. (He's a little shy so I won't mention names)

The work experience program is pretty flexible -meaning that I can do anything I want as long as my boss Mark approves. This week I've had to research crude oil prices, write the daily news quiz and visit an oxygen bar at Harrods 102 with Mark among other things.

Most of the Explainers on the Business Section were written two or three years ago so they were badly in need of an update. This was totally up my street since I've been writing similar material for Mobile World. So if you ever do want to know about broadband, 3G or Enron then click away.

At 10 a.m. everyday the newspaper holds a conference in which anyone from the paper can attend. Basically the editors leaf through the paper's main section and give comments. When they're done, everyone discusses the day's lead stories.

The Guardian is apparently the only newspaper which does this sort of democratic discussion thing. Everyone seems to be really laid-back at the office. I'm told that the stereotype Guardian hack is a "muesli-eating, sandal-wearing, tree-hugger cyclist".

Today I got to check out how they recorded The Guardian podcast in their in-house studio. Apparently around 20 to 30 thousand people download their podcast daily.

The weekend is here and I hope I'll get to run a bit as the weather's quite nice. My work experience was supposed to end this week but in a fortunate turn of events my services have been extended. I get to go back to the office on Monday so I'm quite happy about that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

STEF IS FAMOUSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

YEEEEYYYYYY!!!!

Anonymous said...

congrats!!!! :D

Anonymous said...

Never forget that in some small way Mobile World helped you get there! :)

Congratulations! You have taken a giant step towards your dream.

291206

291206