Friday, March 24, 2006

News Summary III

Today's weather in London was really sunny and I managed to go out for a run. Well I did walk up that final bit of Primrose Hill since I'm allergic to inclined slopes. And maybe I should say 'jog' and not 'run' since I actually go quite slowly. Maybe 'brisk walk which looks like a jog'. Hmm.

  1. BA is increasing the retirement age of its workers to tackle its pension fund deficit. Cabin crew and pilots will have their compulsory retirement age increased from 55 to 60 years old. According to BA, there are airlines who have pilots above the age of 60 still flying aircraft. That's disturbing.
  2. Car prices in Malaysia will be reduced starting next week as the government announced a new duty structure in the National Automotive Policy. Although we're going to get cheaper Peroduas, Protons and possibly Honda Citys and Nissan Centras, the Malaysian Automotive Association president expects the price of MPVs, 4WDs and SUVs to increase under the new structure.

If I'm right, middle class white collar workers will be the social group who will predominantly benefit from this. That's great. Another ten million drivers on Jalan Ampang. I'm not really irked by the potential rise in prices for 4WDs and SUVs.

I am slightly concerned about the MPVs. Here's the way I see it: MPVs are owned by lower income families with lots of kids to ferry around. You're more likely to see people driving home alone in their 4-seater Protons rather than in a 7-seater MPV, no? Additionally, what about small businesses who need MPVs for transporting goods?

No comments:

291206

291206