Monday, February 27, 2006

Defending Liberties?

Tony Blair defends some of his policies (namely accusations of Labour being an authoritarian party, ID cards and anti-terrorism legislation) which have come under critism in The Observer today.

"I am from the generation that I would characterise, crudely, as hard on behaviour, but soft on lifestyle, i.e. I support tough measures on crime but am totally pro gay rights. I believe in live and let live, except where your behaviour harms the freedom of others. A society with rules but without prejudices is how I might sum it up."

I agree with this. I think that a 'live and let live' ethos is the best way to govern by.

"The question is not one of individual liberty vs the state but of which approach best guarantees most liberty for the largest number of people."

Wouldn't that indicate discrimination of minority groups? If it is true that there is power in numbers then isn't Mr Blair only strengthening the already powerful and weakening the weak who are exactly the ones who need to be liberated from their repression.

No comments:

291206

291206